Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Venice Marathon

I ran the Venice Marathon on October 25th. There were over 6000 runners and of those only about 1000 females. I completed the marathon in 3:45 which surpassed the previous time of 3:47 from the Burlington Marathon in 2008, but didn't meet my goal of 3:40. I traveled to Venice on Friday via train and was able to spend Friday night and all day Saturday wandering the streets. Two friends/colleagues met me in Venice...Jimmy James (who was recently "deported" by Swiss authorities because of visa issues) came up from Florence and Krysten took the overnight train from Leysin. I don't have any race pictures yet, but hopefully will soon.

Jimmy and Krysten met me at the finish line and helped me carry my bags and walk to the nearby dock to catch my boat (without showering) to the airport where I got on a plane that took me to Munich where I got on a bus that took me to the train station (in Munich) where I hopped on a two hour train to Fussen, Germany where I was picked up by another colleague (at 11:30p.m.) to begin a week at Outward Bound with the sophomore class the following morning. My life is much like a marathon itself. I cut it a little close with the post race transportation as the boat departed less than 5 minutes after I got on it.

Some pictures of Venice from my adventures on Saturday:









So many canals!


And from San Marco






Venice by night


Krysten enjoying a piece of pizza :)



Me and Jimmy


Krysten and I stayed here...I think it's the only hotel in Venice with a neon sign


And located right around the corner from San Marco....the Sommariva Gelateria


No comments:

Post a Comment