Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Glacier 3000 Race

On Saturday August 4th, I set out to run the Glacier 3000 Race. The race began in Gstaad and ended at the top of Glacier 3000. In total, it was a 26km (16 mile) race with 1900 meters (6200feet) of elevation change. The finish line was, as the name leads itself to, at 3000 meters (10,000+ feet). 

Before the race...getting ready by Mary's car.... 


Getting the right clothing ready to race at Mary's car!
My friend and colleague, Paul also did this grueling race.
The next few photos were taken while Mary was experimenting with the sequential mode on my camera pre-race....








Alpenhorns before the race on the streets of Gstaad...such a beautiful sound









Add caption

And the race begins!

Some views of the course surroundings....




Before the going got tough


One of the most beautiful race courses I've ever done


Re-fueling along the way



Racers coming up the course somewhere after the 20km mark

Part of the race course. Post race, I would not remember running through this tunnel



More of the race course

Fans

Runners suffering, nearing the 3000meter mark

Post-calf cramp making my way up




It got colder as racers neared the top

There was snow...we had to run over it at one point about 1km from the finish







Believe it or not, this was the gruesome finish....after 26km up hill, runners were forced to climb a set of stairs.

Refueling post-race...only to regurgitate it shortly thereafter

There's a reason I don't eat euro energy bars or drink euro ISO-drink! Thanks Mom for sending the Clif Shot blocks!

If that table weren't there to hold on to, I might have fallen over

Despite a sore throat, calf cramping and a massive headache, I made it through the finish 4hours and 15 minutes later. Don't worry, I'll be back when I'm in full form. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment